12 thoughts on “Assignment for Thursday 2/25”

1. 1. Dot maps- How many sex offenders there are in the Chicago area
    2. Multi-set bar chart- The difference between how many women newscaster’s vs. men newscaster’s
    3. Histogram- Birthrate/ Death rate

2. Line graph- GDP per capita
    Histogram- data point distribution for percent change in interest rates/inflation
    Pie Chart- Composition of American exports/imports; government spending, etc.
    Time table- coverage of a live event or breaking news

3. Bubble map- population of different ethnicities in different parts of the country

Dot map- violent crimes

Word cloud- most searched terms from google or some other search engine

4. Timeline- Every date related to this years presidential race

Dot Map- police brutality throughout the U.S

Choropleth Map- Voter percentage in each state

5. 1. Venn Diagram – comparing top 2/3 GOP candidates
    2. time line – major events/ preliminaries leading up to this summers olympics
    3. Tree Diagram – family relations, family tree

6. Dot map- seafood distribution throughout the US
    Bubble chart- how many people from various cities throughout the US attend higher education
    Tree map – family line

7. Bubble Map- To show numerical data in geographical areas, the amount of felons in different cities across the country
    Line Graph- A classic that demonstrates change over a period of time, how much ice cream is sold throughout the months of the year
    Timeline- To show the progression of an event over time, how the rate of toxins being dumped in a river has increased over time

8. I would first use the bubble maps and track to see the number of car accidents. I think this would be interesting because you may be able to find which areas have the most. Whether it be an intersection, a road, a highway, etc.

Secondly, I would use the word cloud to measure how many times a specific word or group of words are being said. I think you could do this for a number of story ideas, but maybe you could possibly track four large news corporations and look at their headlines for a week and measure what each news corporation talks about the most. I think it would also be interesting to compare/contrast between the different news organizations.

Finally, I would use the calendar to record the days/times of the year that airports are busiest. I also feel like you could incorporate the calendar with another kind of chart like a line graph. It would be interesting to see when is the most popular time of the year to travel, most popular day of the week to travel and even the most popular time of the day to travel.

9. 1. Bubble Map: To use when examining married couple populations.

2. Histogram: To use providing rates of cancer cause of deaths in United States.

3. Pie Chart: To use while examining campaign finances expenses for a select candidate during presidential campaign span.

10. Flow map- to show the migration of the Syrian refugees
    Timeline – this would allow us to outline the struggle in Syria and gives us a more in depth timeline
    Population Pyramid – this will allow us to see the decline in the population in Syria, specifically each gender and age, over time.

11. 1. Radar chart: I would use this to map pollution in oceans.
    2. Line graph: I would use this to demonstrate the increase/decrease in real estate values.
    3. Dot map: I would use this to show population density in certain areas and compare it to crime or murder rates.

12. pictogram chart:
    i am in a sustainable building class currently, where we are learning about different ways in which interior designers can impact the built community in a larger way.
    – it may be interesting (as my group is all on the job hunt) to make a pictogram chart of LEED certified design/architecture firms per city in a particular state. and if i’m right, there may be so few of these, that doing it on a state level may even be appropriate.

connection map:
    i could picture this being used to discuss anything travel related. for instance, my hometown, pensacola, fl is considering re-welcoming a passenger line of amtrak back to our region. i’ve grown up seeing the train stations, but never knew they were once active. it may be interesting to show past routes that used to connect pensacola residents to other areas, and even perhaps compare where the new proposed routes would be.

donut chart:
    i like this chart, personally, for its simple aesthetic value. it just speaks to the way i like to view things i guess. but as far as ways to use it professionally are concerned, i think this could be a very simplistic way to show small polling results. this isn’t a place to show many data sets, so perhaps once the campaign begins to narrow down to fewer competitors this may be an appropriate and quick way to visualize polling numbers.